Friday, November 27, 2015

PLAYLISTS!



Hey! We're finished with a topic I have a great passion for: music. It is clearly a topic which seems to interest you, as well.

I remember, during an informal conversation with a friend, I was telling him that I was mainly drawn to music that was: a) heavy, loud, noisy, angry, aggressive or fast, b) weird, quirky, strange, original, different- from what I had heard- and c) catchy, tuneful, singable, melodious, bouncy, infectious. Notwithstanding my musical preferences, it is obvious that, when creating a playlist that you- along with OTHER PEOPLE- want to enjoy, the third category prevails. Therefore, find here the playlists I created for each of the categories you work with in the class.
Remember, these are MY choices, do not forget to write yours (i.e.: the ones you came up with in the class) in the comments section (with their corresponding link to Youtube, if possible)

MY CURRENT FAVORITES

Moody Blues-"Gypsy"



Having been focused for many years on mainly loud and noisy music (Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, Experimental, Noise Rock...), long ago I realized that my music collection could end up being a little limited if I neglected the sounds of Classic Rock of the 60's, 70's and even 80's. Besides their ubber famous classic "Nights in White Satin", I had mainly passed on the Moody Blues, not because I thought they were mediocre songwriters or anything (quite the opposite, actually), but because I was focused on other styles. Man, what was I thinking of? Great, haunting, kind of ethereal melodies, with their trademark harmonized vocals are the ingredients of this superb song.



King Crimson- "Fallen Angel"




You can't go wrong with mid 70's King Crimson if 1970's Rock (Led Zeppelin, Genesis, etc.) appeals to you. Great-beyond-words song, off their 1973 album "Red", featuring great vocals, melodies, and the characteristic weird time signatures and intricate guitar play of Robert Fripp and Bill Brufford's busy drumming. So good it is not funny.



Gong- "Pothead Pixies"



This one connects with my "weird, quirky sounds"-fiend side: Like a way trippier, more bizarre version of early Pink Floyd (circa 1967-68), Gong genuinely sound like music made by loonie hippies to be enjoyed by loonies, be they hippy or not. The whole song revolves around the syncopated line "I am, you are, we are craaaazyyy!", for God's sake! My latest obsession!


Jethro Tull- "Hunting Girl"



Just like the Moody Blues, I had for a long time neglected to pay Jethro Tull the attention that they probably deserved, and again, more for a question of time than for musical prejudices. They have, of course great records, and great songs. I may be sometimes a bit put off by Ian Anderson's voice-which at times reminds me of an English literature teacher reading aloud poetry to their students-, but the combination of great melodies, with that medieval feel (undoubtedly helped by Anderson's flute) and progressive Rock antics have definitely won me over.

Jellyfish- "The King is Half Undressed"




I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't heard AT ALL of Jellyfish. I didn't listen to them until quite recently, myself. They are often categorized as "Power Pop", but they sound more to my ears like the classic British Pop/ Rock bands of the late 60's (the Who, Beatles, Kinks). Their retro style must have been pretty out of place at the beginning of the 90's (the Grunge era, remember?), but this song is SUPER catchy; therefore, its deserving inclusion on this playlist.


PARTY MUSIC

Ramones- "Rock n' Roll High School"




The Ramones are said to have invented or popularized Punk Rock as we know it, and for that, I thank them but, genres aside, it is undebatable that they wrote dozens of great, singable songs which featured loud, tough guitars, but poppy and tuneful vocals. A party without The Ramones is not a party in my book, and this is one of their most famous and party-friendly songs. Enjoy!


Chic- "My Feet Keep Dancing"



Punk Rock and Disco music coexisted at the end of the 1970's, and it is no secret that each type of music did not go down well with the fans of the other type (Punk Rockers hated Disco music and viceversa). To be honest, I don't give a damn about this kind of controversies, more so almost 40 years later. If you didn't fully understand what a "groovy" song is supposed to sound like, here you are! It can get much "groovier" than this!


Madness- "One Step Beyond"



Play this song in a party with people of my age, and some will automatically start to move their feet and their arms doing the characteristing "ska" dance. It is SOOO bouncy and rhythmic! Utterly infectious


NWA- "Straight Outta Compton"



I have told you I have a hard time getting into Rap/ Hip Hop, and I have finally concluded that maybe that particular genre/sound is not for me. However, there are songs by a handful of Rappers that literally electrify me and give me the energy and guts to go out to the street and challenge rival gangs and cops, like rappers do (it is a joke, obviously; I have no interest in getting killed like a dumbass). I guess that one of the things that makes a Rap song a good one is the vocal delivery (what Rappers call the "flow"), they way they speak and cram in the verses and lines. Ice-T and their gang give wannabe rappers of today a lesson on how to do it. Just look at the lady of the video, she can't help letting it all out!

However, if you want to see the video of the actual song- and you should-, try here.









Even though it was a HUGE hit more than one decade ago, OutKast's "Hey Ya!" definitely stands the test of time. The song is ULTRA CATCHY from beginning to end, and it's complicated to find someone for whom this song does not do anything at all. If you find that person, tell them they're a soulless jerk. How can't you like THIS?


The Go! Team- "The Power is On"




Great, festive song that never fails to put a smile on my face. Danceable beats, Electronic samples and cheerleader-like vocals seem to be The Go! Team's signature sound. I guess it is one sound that can eventually become formulaic, but as long as they make songs like this one, we can safely play them at a party.


CSS- "Alala"



One of the really FEW acts that I have genuinely enjoyed in the 6 times I attended the SOS 4.8 festival. These Brazilian girls have understood that less is more and sometimes the only thing you need to make a good party song is the right attitude (girly, naive on the outside, but bratty, confrontational, cocky and punkish in nature), a catchy, driving bassline and nonsense lyrics sung with the attitude previously described. Cool, cool one.


GUILTY PLEASURES

Bandolero-"Paris Latino"




1982! Ha! I remember when this song was a hit! It's easy to see why this can be lumped in the "guilty pleasures" section: almost nobody remembered the band "Bandolero" even 2 years later, and very few remember them now. But, hey! However, this song is nothing to snore at: groovy music, bouncy, catchy verses, the Spanish torero iconography, which I guess may have been fashionable in France (where the band was from) back then, and even a black guy who delivers some early rapped verses and breakdance moves. 5 stars for pure guilty pleasure.


Simple Minds- "Don't you forget about me"




Maybe the only band/artist in the present category to have commanded a semi-respectable career, Simple Minds put out some records at the beginning of the 80's which are considered by many great examples (if not exactly masterpieces) of 80's New Wave/ Pop music. This song (which made the band a household name thanks to its inclusion in the "Breakfast Club" soundtrack) is a nice one, but let's face it, it is not brutally good: one is waiting for the anthemic chorus ("ew ew ew ew") during the whole song, and the verse does not have too much to offer. But, when that chorus comes in... aw... you can't help going "ew ew ew ew".



Cyndi Lauper- "(Goonies are) good enough"






I urge you to watch this video! This is quintaessential 80's cheesy Pop! Gosh!,what looks! Hilarious! 
This could have been your typical pop song and video of the early MTV days, aimed at teenagers of that era. But then, you compare this and today's teen pop (Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne...) and you realize this, at least had SOUL! Well, what the heck!, this one is a terribly catchy song, and Cyndi Lauper was obviously gifted with a solid set of vocal cords. I'll listen to this rather than to today's Pop (either teen or Indie) any day of the week.

Gala- ·"Freed from Desire"




Fast forward to 1996. And if we are talking about guilty pleasures, why not just cutting the crap and go for a genuine one-hit wonder that will never go down the slightest in the history of Pop music (not even in the history of Dance Pop), but which is absolutely enjoyable? Here we are a super catchy song, ideal for the dancefloor! Technotronic's massive hit "Pump up the Jam" may be a better known example of the Eurodance subgenre, but I like this one more. And the "my baby has no money, he's got his strong beliefs" line prove that lyrics can be completely irrelevant as long as you have a vocal melody as infectious as this one.


Nelly Furtado - "Says it All"




There's not much I can say about this one, besides from the fact that sometimes the formula pretty chick with a typically FM Pop-trained voice singing sensitive modern R&B songs about romance works; you only need a chorus as melodious as this one. The rest of the song is not as catchy, but the heartbroken sounding chorus makes up for it. Not as good as Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" but not extremely inferior to it.





MUSIC TO SLEEP TO

Cocteau Twins- "Five Fifty Tenfold"




When going for music "to sleep to" I do not mean "so boring you could fall asleep", but music you can actually "sleep to", sleep-inducing music. And for such a purpose, who else better than the originators of Dream Pop, Cocteau Twins? "Dream Pop" may be another silly label made up by critics (like "Post-Rock", "New Romantics", etc.), but in this case it suits perfectly this British group: their early songs are dreamy, ethereal, atmospheric, and downright gorgeous! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Slowdive- "Sing"





Rightful heirs of Cocteau Twins, the also British Slowdive, released in the 90's a couple of highly praised records that basically expanded the Cocteau's signature sound but relying more on guitars and creating beautiful and evocative sonic landscapes. This song is one of my favorite of theirs.


Lisa Germano- "Geek the Girl"





Lisa Germano's "Geek the Girl" is one of my favorite records of the 90's, and hands down, the best music recorded by a woman in those years (in my opinion, of course). It is an extremely slow record, quite different to what I usually listen to. But, it is every bit as eerie and disturbing as it is slow; it deals with a teenage girl that fails to find true love and gets instead abuse from most around her. Not very happy sounding, right? Anyway, this song is so chilling, beautiful, sorrowful, haunting, that I wouldn't be surprise if someone actually relaxed and wound down to it.




MUSIC FOR A ROMANTIC EVENING

Nina Simone "My baby just cares for me"


What a great song this is! How could you not like it? This one actually dates back to 1962, but thanks to a video clip, it regained its lost fame in the late 80's. Anyway, its smooth vocals and jazzy, though melodious and piano-led, music, make it a perfect song for a romantic evening. Cheers!


Sade "Smooth Operator"



Talk about being classy! There are few artists as appropriate for a special date as Nigeria-born, London-resident Sade. It's stylish, it's delicate, it's smooth, it's sexy! And on top of all that, it's tuneful, melodic, memorable! Even, if like me, you're full of energy and anger, and you call yourself a tough Rocker, there should be room in your heart for some respite, a bottle of wine, a nice candle-lit dinner and the company of the right person. Well, this one can be the perfect soundtrack to such an idyllic moment.


Marvin Gaye- "Sexual Healing"




Wow! It looks like things are getting interesting, my friend! If you've made it to this point, it is a sign that everything is going well! What could I say about the epochal, late Soul singer Marvin Gaye that hasn't been said yet? His life had a quite tragic ending, but his music remains timeless. While his early 70 records (1971's "What's Going on" and 1973's "Let's Get it On") are the ones that get all the praise (and deservedly so) as Soul/Motown/R&B masterpieces, few of his songs are as popular as "Sexual Healing". As its name says, it is sexy, indeed!



MUSIC I CAN'T STAND

Casa Azul- "Revolución Sexual"




This band- well, this song, I haven't really paid attention to any of their albums, nor am I going to in the future- epitomizes all that's wrong about the new Spanish indie scene (I guess from the mid 2000's onwards): uninteresting dancey music, nondescript, plain vocals and stupid, puerile lyrics. All these bands look like they could model for Loewe or something and that could not be more removed from what I understand as Rock n Roll.

The worst thing is that these cats surely get laid aplenty. Big deal.


Pablo López- "Tu Enemigo"




Here comes Pablo López (so mediocre that he didn't even bother to come up with a cool, catchy stage name), combining the worst of David Bustamante, David Bisbal and Carlos Baute (which is like combining the worst of shit, piss and vomit). There is NOTHING about the faux melodrama inherent to this type of music that I can like. NOTHING. I'm sure he thinks he's a genius, though. Not for me: another nobody, another footnote in that fast consuming garbage factory that Operación Triunfo was.

The song talks about tolerance, peace and all sorts of good deeds, and that's quite commendable: the message I applaud; the music, I cannot. Sorry.


Michael Jackson- "Black or White"




Here we have the opposite case. There's nothing really wrong with this song musically: your average slick, overproduced 90's mainstream Pop (and pretty subpar when compared to other Michael Jackson's songs); not too terrible, but not too good, either. It is the lyrics and the song message which makes me cringe: how can you sing "If you're thinking about being my baby, it don't matter if you're black or white" at this point in your career when you have undergone plastic surgery to change the color of your skin and your appearance completely? "It don't matter if you're black or white"? Apparently it DID matter to him.




Juan Magan (featuring Paulina Rubio)- "Vuelve"




We close this section with the worst of the worst. Today's music industry Midas (i.e.: he turns shit into money), Juan Magan, with his annoying vocal effects joins forces with Paulina Rubio, as self-absorbed as ever, to put out one of the most atrocious creations of mankind ever. The perfect soundtrack to likeminded junk- TV programs, like Gran Hermano or MHV. 

Seriously, if you like this kind of stuff, you DO NOT like music; you might like dancing, or clubbing or watching TV or anything, but you do not like music (not that there's anything inherently wrong about that).




EARWORM!: I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!

Rolling Stones- "Give me Shelter"




The old Beatles vs. Rolling Stones dispute is a rather stereotyped one. Why should you side with one of them when you could actually enjoy both? However, I must say I'm almost partial to the Stones. During the late 60's-early 70's nobody could play simple Rhythm and Blues/ Blues Rock/ old-school Rock n' Roll like they did. It may have been a clear case of injustice that 5 young English white boys got all the credit for music that poor, hapless black people had been singing and playing for decades, but as I see, justice does not prevail in our world, nor has it prevailed in the history of Rock.

Their satanic majesties wrote dozens of SUPERB songs between 1965 and say, 1973. This is one of my favorites. 


Blondie- "Hanging on the Telephone"




1978's "Parallel Lines" is one of those perfect, flawless Pop records, and its opener, "Hanging on the telephone" embodies the definition of "catchy". If Christina Aguilera or Madonna sang it, I'm sure they would completely ruin it with their arrogant vocal acrobatics, but before they do so, we're lucky to be able to listen to it the way it was meant to be and should remain, with Debbie Harry's raspy but tuneful voice. I love you Debbie!



The Clash- "Rock the Casbah"




The Clash are remembered as a Punk band or even "the only Punk band that matters". When compared to contemporaries like the Sex Pistols, they do not sound too Punky or aggressive, though. They were exceptional songwriters and a phenomenal combo, and have been for a long, long time my favorite band ever. Like the Beatles, they were tremendously diverse and played a great variety of styles, from Rock, Punk to Reggae, Jazz, Swing, Pop, Disco, R&B... Seriously, there were few musical styles that the Clash didn't try. One of their most famous songs, and one of their grooviest is one of their last singles, 1982's "Rock the Casbah". Enjoy!



Billy Bragg- "A New England"



By no means could I leave out a song that gives me the goosebumps EVERY time I listen to it. I have mentioned that my main problem with singer/songwriters/ folk/ protest songs are that they tend to be too minimalistic: just a man/woman and their acoustic guitar; no pounding drums, no electric guitar riffs or cool bass lines... vital things for a Rocker like me. But, man, just listen to that chorus "I don't wanna change the world, I'm not looking for New England, just looking for another girl". A dork like James Blunt could have sung the same and it would have meant nothing to me, but Billy Bragg's words are completely heartfelt. This is music at its most emotional, right out of the heart.

Madonna- "Into the Groove"




Rather than the corporate juggernaut that Madonna is today, in the early-to-mid 80's, M. Louise Ciccone was an obviously already ambitious and talented girl but whose ego had not yet overshadowed her artistic side. She put out many bouncy, dancey, singable Pop tunes that featured memorable vocal melodies and juvenile lyrics. "Lucky Star", "Holiday", "Material Girl" or "Papa don't Preach" are an example of it. However, this- along with the gorgeous-beyond-words "Live to Tell"- is my favorite by the Blonde Ambition.


Michael Jackson- "Smooth Criminal"



After having thrashed poor old Jacko in the previous section, I feel the need to make amends with the King of Pop. I have absolutely nothing against the neverland prodigy: he released one of the best Disco records ever (1979's "Off the Wall") and 2 great 80's Pop records (1983's "Thriller" and 1987's "Bad"). The 2 latter went on to become the highest selling records ever. I always say complete success and people's appreciation cannot be subjective. Whether I think of Michael Jackson as a genius or not, it is irrelevant, he was a true artist. And, what's more, whenever I listen to the unforgettable  "Annie are you ok, Annie are you ok, are you ok, Annie?" refrain, I only can kneel down, take my hat off and agree about the mastermind he was.



Pop will Eat itself- "Wise up sucker!"




A great, great, uplifting, empowering, foul-mouthed, but ultimately melodic song that comes across as the perfect one to play to a friend who has been recently dumped by a girl that you never liked as a girlfriend for him (as long as he is not completely devastated). Its "She loves me, she loves me not, oh, she loves me, she loves me not" chorus will remain in your head for hours. Repeated playing guaranteed.




12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for your comment! great, great write-up!
      PS: Coincidence or not, the two songs you like off my list have "smooth" in the title! ;-)

      Delete
    2. "Smooth" is a good word!! and they are a very very good songs!

      Delete
  2. Hi guys,
    Firstly, I wish to stress that I like all kind of music and I’ve wanted to make a beautiful playlist, trying to make the list as fun as possible. I’ve included two songs in each category.
    Some songs remind me, when I was younger, other songs remind me different states of my life.
    Sometimes, I like to hear aggressive and loud music, for example, when I’m full of energy. Other times, I like to hear groovy and catchy music when I’m happy but I don’t have enough energy ha ha ha.

    MY CURRENT FAVORITES
    AC/DC – Thunderstruck
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Q6e5lCXPQ[/video]

    It makes me feel full of energy and uplifting. By the way, the man who plays the guitar looks like Javi. Lol
    I can tell us, the man who plays the guitar is wearing that suit college because in his day, the school teachers told him that he won’t reach amount to anything and in honor of it, he brings this college suit, so then his school had to change the uniform.

    BEE GEES - You Should Be Dancing
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JoZS6LgqYI[/video]

    Another song which makes me feel better when I’m listening to it. I think it’s catchy and singable.


    PARTY MUSIC

    Modern Talking - You're My Heart, You're My Soul
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHl4FoK1Ys[/video]

    I hope you like this song. I remember it, I was 18, I liked to listen when I was with some friends and we went to parties.
    RYAN PARIS (DOLCE VITA)
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1Jr4eIpMs[/video]

    This song isn’t English, but I have listened it, because I love Italian music a lot and I hope you like it, too.
    I was 13 and I remember this year perfect, because Spain beat Malta 12-1. Anyone remember that or I’m the oldest in the class. ha ha ha












    GUILTY PLEASURES


    Village People, Macho Man

    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqeNpP2PCo&list=RDhMqeNpP2PCo#t=10[/video]

    It’s funny and I laugh a lot, when someone is watching me.

    Aqua - Barbie Girl
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A[/video]

    Another song that I like but I never have in the car with the volume too high. ha ha ha


    MUSIC TO SLEEP TO

    Eva Cassidy - Fields of Gold
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVjjcOUJLE[/video]

    Love Never Felt So Good 2014
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBrM1XMym64[/video]

    Well, I don’t usually use music to sleep but I have to make MUSIC TO SLEEP TO category so then I’ve listened these two songs, because I think they are beautiful music.

    MUSIC FOR A ROMANTIC EVENING

    Barry White - You sexy thing
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37FGwDMMZEg[/video]

    it’s a beautiful song to stay in home with good company.

    JOE COCKER - YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR HAT ON
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMTu86K-IhI [/video]
    I have to say I said in the previous song. It makes me feel like staying in home with good company.



    MUSIC I CAN'T STAND

    BONEY M. Rasputin
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXRJgSd-aU[/video]

    I like some songs of Boney M, but this songs I can’t stand. I can’t explain why, but I think is angly, it doesn’t tell me anything.

    EARWORM!: I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!

    Mel & Kim - Showing Out (Get Fresh At the Weekend)
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14b-BASNVdI[/video]

    A song with catchy, light. I think it’s a bit samey, but any way, I like it.

    AC/DC - Highway to Hell
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPmA3USJdI[/video]

    AC/DC is a great group. I like this group.

    RAE JEPSEN - Call Me Maybe Carly
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSBOqHetvLY[/video]

    I like this song because is catchy, groovy and light as well, very very funny.

    To sum up, I think that we agree on some styles but not all. But doesn’t matter, the important thing is to enjoy the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PARTY MUSIC

    Raffaella Carra "Hay que venir al sur"

    This song born in 1978, is a song that despite the years is present in a lot of events such as weddings, christenings. You causes to dance in a very funny way and at the same time to get some laughs.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9l57MB5pdc

    GUILTHY PLEASURES

    Auryn - Saturday I´m in Love

    Despite their short age, Auryn awakens in my last adolencencia, which I began to experience my first loves, in addition their music and melody is very romantic.
    I don't mind that people think I look like a teenager because I like this type of music. Beyond them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC06BV0XNsI

    MUSIC I CAN’T STAND

    Kiko Rivera- Que Se Quite El Top

    Here this Kiko Rivera, so mediocre that son of Isabel Pantoja is believed capable to sing anything and he think that your music likes everyone, when in fact I think that people are laughing of him. It is song repetitive and meaningless song as him.
    I can't stand his music.I cannot. Sorry.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BxcA69c-9M



    MY CURRENT FAVOURITES

    Sia - Big Girls Cry

    This song everything I like. This is a sad song but I can not hear it again and again.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NhKWZpkw1Q


    MUSIC FOR A ROMANTIC EVENING

    Say Something", de A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera

    It is is the song more beautiful that I've ever heard. Only to see the video I put chicken hairs. I recommend that you see it.
    It is the perfect song for a romantic evening.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w919SXvFJCs


    MUSIC TO SLEEP TO

    Adele - Someone Like You

    I think that it's the song perfect for relax after a stressful day, because it is a quiet, calm song that takes you to absolute relaxation.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0


    EARWORM!: I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!

    I love this song, the rhythm, although it is a little repetitive. It is uplifting so when I have a bad day I feel better.

    Calvin Harris - How Deep Is Your Love

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWWSM3wCiKY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Kiko Rivera is the worst singer in the world.....He is awful!!

      Delete
  4. Alicia
    Hi!!! I agre with paula and javier, kiko Rivera is an awful singer. He doesn't sing good. I'm very dessapointed about some spanish singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia
    Hi!!! I agre with paula and javier, kiko Rivera is an awful singer. He doesn't sing good. I'm very dessapointed about some spanish singer

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I said in my before post, from my point of view all the important moments of life must be accompanied by great song. My favourite playlist would be:


    MY CURRENT FAVORITES

    "Take me out" by Franz Ferdinand.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhCXAiNz9Jo

    This song have danceable beats. Before I didn´t keen on English music, but this song is a hit, and I love it. It´s bouncy, it´s dancey and it has a good refrain. It always puts my a good mood.


    PARTY MUSIC

    “Don't stop me now” by Queen

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

    Any self-respecting party you can´t miss a song by Queen. Perhaps this is one of my favorites Queen´s song. There are electric guitar riffs, and it´s very danceable beats. Not forgetting the mastermind who was Freddie Mercury.



    MUSIC FOR A ROMANTIC EVENING

    “Como Camaron” by Estopa

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmP89cIGJZM

    I´m not sure if this song is very romantic or not, but this song was my favourite song when I was a teenager. You are never more romantic than when you are a teenager. In my book, the singer (David Muñoz) has a raspy but tuneful voice. This song brings me good memories.



    MUSIC I CAN'T STAND

    “Loba” by Shakira.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ssrLSheg4

    I like some songs by Shakira, when she started in the music scene. But this song I can´t stand, literally! I speak Spanish, but I´m not able to understand any word. I think that this song will never go down the slightest in the history.




    EARWORM!: I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!

    “Are you gonna be my girl?” by Jet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuK6n2Lkza0
    This song is great! I love it! In my opinion the song is ultra catchy, and it´s a rock song ideal for a party-friendly. This song was the soundtrack to many Saturday night for my and my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Playlist.

    My current favourite: “Sunday bloody Sunday” (U2)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMCM-pgpYVg

    My current favourite is “Sunday Bloody Sunday” of British group, U2. This song is found in the “War” album, which is based on the bloody Sunday in Derry (North Ireland), at the Civil 70´s war between Catholics and Protestants.

    Party music:
    “Grease”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVB3vHjKhs

    This song was one of the musical movie “Grease”, where the main characters are John Travolta and Olivia Newton-Jonh in their younth. It was sung by Frankie Vally, who was vocalist of one of the most memorable 60´s American group, The Four Seasons.

    “Do you remember rock ´n´ roll radio?” (Ramones)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sx8TYIlh4

    I like dancing this song because I feel like a little girl who wears new shoes  It is found in “End of the century” Ramones´ album and it is about three minutes and half long. Moreover, this song was performed by Kiss group.
    Music that remembers me of younth: “A contracorriente” (ecdl)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ZlLqWbdh8

    This song was a great hit of “El canto del loco” group. It is found in the ”Personas” album. This song is special for me because I was addicted to El canto del loco group, I was listening its music when I went to high school such, I went to its concerts. I have nice commemorations with this song.

    Music to sleep too: “Coffe & TV” (Blur)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWX4IGjA7s

    Although Blur is one of my favourite music group, they have some songs wich sound like defunct. Coffe & TV is one of these because its lyrics is samey and dull, in spite of it has sense.
    Music for a romantic evening
    “More than a feeling” (Boston)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

    A 70´s American song of Boston group, which has had different version, can be found in the Boston album.

    Se a vida e (Pet shop boys)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqZkudmcPY

    The title of this song in English is “if life is”. Duet British Pet Shop Boys threw this song in 1996, in “Bilingual” album. That summer, “Se a vida e” became a catchy and groovy song because my cousin and her friends used to listen to every day and they got used to listen to all day, too. Nowadays, I understand its translation, so that I think its lyrics is real life and it not is nearly as relevant as it was twenty years ago.

    Music I can´t stand it.

    “Nunca debí enamorarme” (Camela).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3C1_4p8Hz8

    I can´t stand this song and, in general, Camela songs. I don´t usually this kind of music only in my village fair. I don´t find sense its lyrics and its music, it´s loud and dreadful. Moreover, I can´t stand reggae music, it doesn´t sound like listening to reggae music. It´s no sense. A example of this kind of music, Henry Méndez:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LHAQOpYGE

    I can´t get it out my head:
    “Four minutes” (Madonna).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32uP6o-4Hs

    I love listening to this song while I drive. It´s a Madonna´s song in her record “Celebration”. Four minutes was performed by Madonna and Justin Timberlake (a candy boy); they show a fantastic videoclip, where they do a dynamic dance. I was completely fascinated on this videoclip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Everybody!
    I'm fond of listening to music, so I think I have quite varied musical taste that is constantly changing (although I’m not a music connoiseur) and that's why I'm struggling to choose only few songs. However, I'll try to do that; so if I had to choose I’d add the following songs to the playlist.

    MY CURRENT FAVORITES: MUSE: “UPRISING”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog

    Muse is a band that eptomizes the kind of thing I like, they never let me down and this particular song gets me out of bed. Its riffs are a trademark. It’s empowering and uplifting. It helps me to face every new day.

    PARTY MUSIC: NE-YO “CLOSER”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aC5xPQ2f4

    It’s no wonder I’m into pop, rhythm and blues and funk music, so this song it’s totally my thing. I’m addicted to it because of its danceable beats and its catchy lyric.

    GUILTY PLEASURES: TAKE THAT “RELIGHT MY FIRE”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Od45DjCA4

    Long, long time ago I was a boyband fan (WTF???? Yeah, I know, but I was a teenager and they were five handsome men who danced and sang like angels ;) and besides, there’s no accounting for taste, is there?), and Take That it’s a band I grew out of but I still have a soft spot for them. I love this song because it’s groovy and very catchy.

    MUSIC TO SLEEP TO: JASON MRAZ AND COLBIE CAILLAT: “LUCKY”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvIVA9-FMQ

    In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful songs in the musical scene, it’s a tuneful and classy song because of its great-beyond words. It’s the perfect song to chill out to and to be grateful at the end of the day.

    MUSIC FOR A ROMANTIC EVENING: GEORGE MICHAEL: “I WANT YOUR SEX”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3AP26ywQsQ

    Dating back to the 90’s, when mostly girls dreamt about the idea to fall in love with the ex-straight George Michael…this groovy and sexy song sounds like my idea of the perfect date, maybe with an explicit sexual content.

    MUSIC I CAN’T STAND: SHAKIRA “WAKA-WAKA”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzsuE5ugxf4

    What happened to Shakira? There was a time she used to be a great singer-songwriter, but not anymore. If you ask me, she’s pretty overrated currently. Nowadays, she looks like a successful star with no musical talent whatsoever and this song it’s the perfect proof of that; it’s bland, repetitive and samey. It doesn’t do anything for me.

    EARWORM: I CAN’T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD: ED SHEERAN: “SING”

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlYcUqEPN58

    An infectious and catchy song I love singing along with, although, it could sound like a manufactured song.

    Finally, I should say I agree with all of you guys because I think Kiko Rivera is the worst “singer, songwriter????” in the world.

    I like some of the songs you picked, Javier, such as Nina Simone "My baby just cares for me", Simple Minds “Don’t you forget about me”, Sade "Smooth Operator", Marvin Gaye- "Sexual Healing" and OutKast “Hey ya”, but I totally disagree with your opinion about Michael Jackson song because he was a mastermind and the musical scene is still under his influence.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tatyana Arnaldos wrote:

    MY CURRENT FAVOURITES

    -Paulina Rubio 'Ni una sola palabra'
    I LOVE this song! It drove me completely mad in 2008 and lately I have remembered it again. It's super catchy, smooth, delicate. original, different and even I would say she has a roughly tough sexy-rocker.
    If you listen to her at the car, I'll like you even traffics jam!

    -Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor 'Marvin Gaye'
    This song is my latest discovery. Many songs are listened and you don't know who your author is or how they are named.
    I listened to this song in a TV advert (New Fiat 500) and I liked it.
    Enjoy! (Don't get nervous with the video... likewise with Paulina Rubio hahaha... -too late I think... hahaha)


    -Maroon 5 'Sugar'
    This song is melodious, catchy, bouncy and really infectious and Adam Levine sing it with a style so jazzy...He always put a smile on my face...


    PARTY MUSIC

    -Calvins Harns & Disciples 'How deep is your love'.
    Another song I listened in a Swimming Pool Party last summer and I didn't know who author was or how was named but I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT in just a second... It's catchy, melodious, utterly infectious... just like me did that day... close your eyes, dance (put on your sunglasses and some sunblock) and enjoy! (Be careful with the kerb! ha-ha)

    -Prince Royce 'Back it up' Jennifer López feat Pitbull.
    The same thing with this song, is perfect for a summer party, is absolutely enjoyable, SUPER catchy and it invites you dancing all afternoon-night-and early morning...

    What summer memories...!

    -Madcom ft Ray Dalton- 'Don't worry'
    I LOVE IT! This song just makes me happy every time I listen to it. It's so catchy...! (I think 'catchy' will be the name my next dog... sounds good... hahaha) If you listen to it you won't be able to get it out of your head!


    MUSIC FOR A ROMANTIC EVENING

    -John Legend 'All of me'
    I guess that one romantic evening needs a special song too. I resist listen to this kind of songs-more and more- BUT I have recognise that suddenly appear a song like this and IT WIN ME OVER( COMPLETELY). Downright gorgeous.


    -Alejandro Sanz 'Corazón partío'
    The Best Artist Ever- millions women can't be wrong- My favourite singer when I still was a romantic person and the sountrack almost all my romantic moments... He is so romantic...affectionate, sensitive, funny and charming... AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT he is so cute!! Always with that male look (aire?) ...am I sexy?...I don't know it... Of course you are sexy Alex!!


    -Felix Jachn 'Ain't nobody' ft Jasmine Thompson.
    It's so smooth, melodious, dreamy, ethereal,atmospheric... It loves it... Enjoy it as much as I do.


    MUSIC I CAN'T EVEN STAND

    I won't spend much time in this category, I think it would be stupid spending too much value time in something you don't like. I'll just say that music i.e Kiko Rivera is not my cup of tea, almost all rock music is not my thing and i.e singer like Lady Gaga. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete