Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Shoestring-Budget Travellers of the World, Unite!


Tourism is undoubtedly one of the most thriving industries and important sources of income for most countries: around one billion people travel abroad every year for leisure reasons, and neither pandemic outbreaks (such as Avian flu or Ebola), nor international conflicts or the recent Islamic terrorist threat seem to have discouraged tourists in the least

However, the intersection between a gradually higher cost of living and a steadily lower standard of living (due to unemployment, limiting family expenses, government cuts and worse working conditions) has rendered tourism almost an unaffordable luxury for the average Joe (many a time we have heard someone say- or said ourselves- "man, I simply don't have enough money to travel")
Anyway, even if you're one of those who have given up on the idea of travelling- or at least, travelling widely-, it's time to change your mind, if you are willing to do without certain commodities. Yes, my friend, welcome to the concept of shoestring-budget travel. 
Low-cost airlines and increasingly diverse accomodation options (youth hostels, Air BnB, etc.) have made domestic and international travel considerably cheaper, but even if that is too expensive for you, there are countless ways to travel around the world for virtually NOTHING: 
Want to reduce accomodation costs to the minimun? Why not house-swap? Or, if you're not too picky about sleeping tight, intimacy or complete comfort, why  not trying couch-surfing? These two options have something in common, though: you need something (i.e.: a place of your own) to offer in return. If that is not the case, and your assets are practically none, you can always house-sit (if you cannot afford a vacation, just watch someone's house while they go on theirs), volunteer (through some NGO, teaching languages, etc.) or work abroad (popular jobs include Au-pair, hotel worker, waiter/waitresses or, in some places, farm worker).
You can also save in travelling costs in several manners: hitchhiking (or carpooling if that sounds too risky), crew a yacht or cruise ship-provided you have any skills the seamen could actually take advantage of) or- one of the most creative ones-, transport other people's vehicles.
Once in your desired destination, and in trying to keep faithful to the spirit of a genuine shoestring-budget traveller (that is, spending as little money as possible) you can benefit from free-walking tours and not miss must-see spots. Cooking your own meals (most guesthouses, camping sites and hostels have kitchens) or packing sandwiches, salads or whatever does not require actual stove cooking will suppose a considerable saving (from 70 to 90% of money spent on eating).
As you see, there are numerous alternatives if you're broke or short on money. The thing is that most of them are not likely to sound extremely attractive for the majority of would-be travellers. "The problem is that for many people, travelling is not a priority and they have not still realized" says Andrea Gourgy, an experienced low-budget traveller, "I have an average paying job, yet I manage to save enough money to travel, because I made travelling a priority, sacrificing going shopping clothes or the latest electronic gadget, which, next to the lifelong experiences that travelling and knowing other cultures and meeting great people everywhere provide, do almost nothing for me". Andrea has learned as well to enjoy all the modest means inherent to shoestring-budget travel "accommodation or transport are just a means to a greater end, which I mentioned before: travelling and knowing, and meeting...".
If you, like me, are not ready to take your pleasure for travelling that far and demand at least some minimum standards of comfort (one is miserable enough at work, right?) to be able to disconnect during your holidays it's probably because we're more of a tourist than of a traveller type.

17 comments:

  1. Hi!!!
    I agree with you. I usually say "I don't have enough money to travel". Travel to abroad is too expensive for me.
    Last summer I went to a campsite wirh my boyfriend's family. We did all meals, we bought food because eat out is expensive.
    I think problem is that nowadays our salary is low and restaurants in summer is expensive.
    However, is possible go on holidays and save money before. I usually save money to go in summer to campsite, beach...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!!
    I agree with you. I usually say "I don't have enough money to travel". Travel to abroad is too expensive for me.
    Last summer I went to a campsite wirh my boyfriend's family. We did all meals, we bought food because eat out is expensive.
    I think problem is that nowadays our salary is low and restaurants in summer is expensive.
    However, is possible go on holidays and save money before. I usually save money to go in summer to campsite, beach...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, What's up?
    My husband and I changed our minds some years ago when we realized that we wanted to travel a lot but we didn't have so much money that we used to; so we decided to travel in low cost companies or by our own car, for example.
    We have just swapped our house with other people; we have stayed at hostels or at campsites, and, currently, we don't usually stay at expensive hotels.
    I think you can travel a lot without being broken if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great words! These comments keep the blog going!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. For me travelling is a priority, but my salary isn´t very big,so I know perfectly all these tips, in fact I think I done all of them and it is true that if you change your mind it can be a fantastic experiencie.
    When I travel I try not to stay in Hotels.I don´t like Hotels at all.They are very posh and snobbish I really love backpacker hostels, where you can share the kitchen or sometimes the bedroom with other travellers; it´s very fun, it allows you know different people who can give you some advice about the city.Which places are beautiful and which places aren´t worth to see.
    Of course when I arrive to a new country I look for a free-walking tours and also look for free things to do there.
    Some museums costs too much except on Tuesdays or Mondays, when the museums offers free admission.
    Moreover, you can ask students to drink and eat,they always know the cheapest place (I´m sure).
    to move around the city you can rent a bicycle it´s cheaper than the bus.
    To sump up I don´t mind sharing kitchen or bedroom with other people, you can save a lot of money and travel more places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great, great contributions from a travel enthusiast!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Hi!
    I love travelling so I try to save money throughout the year for it.
    When I save a lot of money I usually go to hotels because they are more comfortable for me but I try to book hotels and transports in advance because it is cheaper.
    Nowadays I'm going camping or holiday cottage where I can cook and do not spend much money on restaurants and it is fun.
    I think that everybody can travel without spending much money, just have to well organize trips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys,
    I’m going to start by saying that when I was a teenager I was passionate about going camping with my friends. But I have to say, nowadays, I prefer to go to hotels when I go on holiday, trying to save some money during all year and so, it can let me and I can go without any fear to spend my money, although I try to book in advance, surfing on the internet to find some bargain.
    I think, I'm a picky person and whether I don't have enough money I prefer to stay at home and go to the beach in the summer, to spend the day or go out for lunch or dinner during winter and visit some places of Murcia, for example.
    Bye guys, until next comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys,
    I’m going to start by saying that when I was a teenager I was passionate about going camping with my friends. But I have to say, nowadays, I prefer to go to hotels when I go on holiday, trying to save some money during all year and so, it can let me and I can go without any fear to spend my money, although I try to book in advance, surfing on the internet to find some bargain.
    I think, I'm a picky person and whether I don't have enough money I prefer to stay at home and go to the beach in the summer, to spend the day or go out for lunch or dinner during winter and visit some places of Murcia, for example.
    Bye guys, until next comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insights, Joaquín! Practically flawless write up, just replace "whether I don't have money" by "when/if I don't have money". When using "whether" we usually expect an alternative like "whether ... or not".

      Delete
  8. I love travelling because it makes me feel alive. In my opinion it’s an enriching experience and it doesn’t have to be expensive if you book the flights ahead of time. When I travel in Europe on a long weekend trip I always book the flights with ryanair, easyjet or vueling and I always check the cheapest flights (I don’t care where I go if it is a new place for me). I always book a house with airbnb. I think it is a good option for someone who is on a tight budget, as you can cook in the house and it is cheaper than a hotel. I always search online for free tours. If they are available, I book them. Anyways, it depends on the country you are visiting, for example in Thailand you can have a local meal for only 2 euros!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it comes to the relationship between travelling and money it is clear that the more money the more comfortable and the further one is able to go,I am aware of nowadays unfortunately money rules.Of course one could find a real bargain into surfing the internet or by a travel agent,there are many ways of travelling by a low cost,although that is not where it is at.
    The issue is that most people,the average Jane as well,tend to arrange their leisure time just in order to disconnect from their daily routine,even some holidaymakers buy an all-inclusive package holiday in which everything is scheduled,so there is no time for surprises.Then,maybe they travel abroad,spend one or two weeks seeing landmarks as a matter of course and return home.
    According to my mind travelling is synonymous with freedom,that is the reason why definitely going sightseeing does not make any sense to me.Firstly I would rather stay for several seasons in just one place,in the city,the countryside,the seaside,anywhere and once I keenly experienced its culture I would move to another place.Sure I would need to do something to make a living,but in any case I would never separate my working time from my spare time,in this way travelling would become my lifestyle.Yeah I know,it sounds quite utopian.On the other hand I actually like not to make any plans at all better,as if I do not expect anything,everything could be a great adventure.In reality every once in a while I go by my car and start to drive with no luggage and no destinaton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very interesting insight on the topic, Diego. I'm myself really anti-scheduled holidays: rushing from one site to another without actually enjoying any? What's the point? Great one. Thanks for your words!

      Delete