Friday, December 11, 2015

Topic 2: Recommended Watching!


Hey!

Here we are going to start a new section which tries to bind together whatever topic we have finished and some cool movie which somehow deals with that topic. I believe it's the perfect way to actually soak in a language and the culture inherent to the countries speaking that language.
Topic # 2, while aiming to cover "leisure time" as a broad concept- has been heavily focused on art and, especially, music, therefore I cannot but wholeheartedly recommend watching Alan Parker's "The Commitments", a SUPERBLY written, directed and acted film. I guess Stephen Frear's "High Fidelity" is the usual pick when choosing a film about music, but it cannot, in my book, hold a candle to 1991 "The Commitments". 



Fun from beginning to end and showing late 80s Ireland's tough reality, it is a film to be enjoyed by anyone who is enthusiast about both music and English and it does feature great musical performances by that motley gang, The Commitments. But, enough said, I won't spoil the fun of watching this awesome flick by giving more details. Just watch it and tell me what you think about it. You can thrash it of course if you don't like it, but, pleeze, just after having watched it.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Good morning everybody!

    First of all, I have to admit I’m not exactly passionate about musical-genre films or films about music, despite that, one of the films about music I like the best is “The Blues Brothers”.

    It’s a 1980 American musical crime comedy film directed by John Landis, and written by John Landis and Dan Aykroyd.

    This hilarious story, set in Chicago, is about a brave and serious decision that Jack and his brother Elwood Blues made on leaving prison. They took on a mission from God and decided to save from foreclosure the Catholic orphanage in which they grew up.
    To achieve that essential purpose, they must reunite their R&B band and organize a special performance to help them raise $5,000 needed to pay the orphanage's property tax bill. Along their way, they are targeted by a lot of strange people such as a destructive "mystery woman", Neo-Nazis, and a country and western band (all they pursue by the police).
    The main focus is music as salvation and as a weapon: nothing like the music to fight for a just cause and save the helpless.

    Starring Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi, and featuring musical numbers by rhythm and blues (R&B), and soul, singers like James Brown, Aretha Franklin,or Ray Charles, and with lots of gags, it’s a moving and uplifting story which I’m sure you can´t find someone for whom it does not do anything at all.

    Regarding your choice “The Commitments”, I have not seen it yet but I’m on it and I’ll tell you my opinion later if you let me…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, great one Carmen! I saw this one like 20 years ago! Can you believe that? Really funny and fun movie. A classic, of course.
    And your write-up, superb, as usual.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys again,
    I've just watched The Commitments, since I downloaded it yesterday.
    I have to say, I didn’t like it too much, though I liked all the songs of the film. I like soul music and I love the black voices such as, Ray Charles or Aretha Franklin.
    At the beginning, the film is funny and I laughed a lot, but then there were a lot of songs and I think it isn't enough argument.
    I prefer to watch war, action, historical and thriller or horror films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! you didn't like it? How come??? Well, as the saying goes: "everyone is entitled to their own opinion", "there's no accounting for taste", etc... Thank you so much for your comments, anyway! They keep the blog thing going!

      Delete
  4. WRITTEN BY TATYANA ARNALDOS JURADO

    For when this guy will recommend us anything have less 20 years?hahaha... for God's sake...

    Well, the movie is funny enough and surrealist, although in some parts I'm not sure have understood the whole thing...

    On the other hand, I do understood sufficiently the meaning of word fuck, I think, hahaha.

    With moments hilarious, such as the scene of the van, the musical casting and so on.

    Also completely demonstrable what a simple masculine mind is, in all his essence....

    The best of the movie is its musical part...Emoji... destination anywhere Emoji ! I can't get it out of my head!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      Great one, Tatyana. I'm glad you semi-enjoyed it!
      "When on earth will this guy recommend anything which is less than 20 years?" sounds slightly better, though!
      "I DID understand sufficiently..."
      With hilarious moments (word order)

      Flawless, otherwise!

      Delete