Sunday, February 7, 2016

Topic 4: Recommended Watching!




Hi there again! 
This is the second installment of the Recommended Watching series on the present blog, and today we're presenting not one nor two, but three films related to the topic "Education/Life Stages"

The first one is a pretty obvious choice, just if you- like me- were a child in the 80's. John Hughes' The Breakfast Club's plot revolves around the one-day detention five High School students are given and how five very different individuals (a beauty contest princess, a rebellious thug, an athlete, a brainy nerd and a strange outcast) end up, against all odds, becoming insparable friends at the end of that day. Beautifully shot and really well acted along with its unforgettable soundtrack, "The Breakfast Club" is a movie without great pretentions, but which can be easily enjoyed by most. And that's what matters at the end of the day, innit?



The second flick, 1998 Rushmore, is way more pretentious than the former one, but a pretty great film nonetheless. Director Wes Anderson's quirky and über-Indie style usually does very little for me. Some of his most acclaimed movies (Moonrise Kingdom, Grand Budapest Hotel...) are just as hipster as growing a thick beard, wearing horn-rimmed glasses and walk into a Starbucks' coffee bar to attend some stupid talk on banal stuff with the place full of snobbish dullards. Well, THAT is not my kind of thing, to be honest. But I kind of enjoyed two of his films: The Royal Tenenbaums and this very movie. So, just give it a go, you may enjoy it even more than I did!



I'm closing today's post with one of, in my humble opinion, the greatest films of the 90's: Todd Solonz's Welcome to the Dollhouse. Solonz became a household name with his next film, 1998 super-disturbing Happiness, but that one can be just too much for most, too impenetrable, maybe.
Here, the brutality of the facts (basically how the different, the ugly, the quirky are treated with extreme callousness during adolescence) is counterbalanced with a humorous tone, which means that even though you feel sorry for the main character (poor, constantly misunderstood Dawn Wiener), you will find yourself laughing at many times or simply enjoying the film.
One quote which I guess summarizes the whole movie story :"High school is better than Junior High. They'll call you names, but not as much"



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. In the 80’s I was more like a toddler so I’m not able to down to the last detail, although I remember watching "Welcome to the dollhouse" and got anguished in the meantime. I suppose it had some influence in my subsequent behaviour...

    I almost remember “The breakfast club” but I’m sure I saw it.

    On the other hand, I think I was too young to make a comprehensive analysis of both films and I haven’t seen them again, that's why I can't tell you anything else.

    Regarding the slang Rushmore, I haven’t seen it so I’ll keep in mind in case I have some free time.

    See you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Carmen!
      No fault to be found with your write-up! Congrats about that!
      I really like the first two films, but as I said in the post, it is Welcome to the Dollhouse which remains a true classic for this humble servant. Like, one of the best BLACK comedies of the 90's or whenever for that matter.

      Delete
  2. WRITTEN BY TATYANA ARNALDOS JURADO


    I have to say that I hadn't seen any of those three movies, I think. It only rings a bell the first one 'The Breakfast Club', but I'm not sure I have seen it. I loved 'The Breakfast Club' and 'Wellcome to the Dollhouse' equally. In the first one, well, I never had problems at school therefore I couldn't identify with the characters completely but I enjoyed with the dark guy -funny and dickhead in equally parts...hahaha- in the end, you become fond of him. With scenes really really funny like when he is under table of the girl ( what a stupid guys are sometimes... hahaha - two neurons and one of them always is thinking in the same thing... hahaha-)
    I LOVED the blonde kid... He is so adorable..., so tender and naive...!
    Also you find yourself staring at the movie holding your breath in some sad and moving parts. In the end, everyone want the same thing, to be loved, right?

    About Rushmore I'll say that it has seemed more difficult to understand that the other ones, the characters would speak too fast and I haven't understood many things... i.e. I don't understand why the man destroy the bike of student, or why the boy cut car's brakes of the man... Are they competing for the girl?? I'm not sure...hahaha... and I would like to know....!
    With any funny scenes such as when he try to kiss her or when he come in to the house through the window...

    Finally, I'll speak about 'Wellcome to the Dollhouse', it's über tender... the tutu-girl is a little bith ( I mean 'cabrona'...hhahaha) and odious... Isn't she?
    I've felt identify with main character in many aspect... ¿who at that age didn't crazy about a friend of their brother?hahaha
    Funny seeing how the girl melt for the blonde guy.

    I have understood it quite good, in spite of it, there is some things, i.e why the blonde kid want thrash her at first and then he kiss her on the lips in a derelict house?? MEN... Who can understand them? hahaha... After, women are complicated ones....

    On the other hand, what nice memories of the first kiss..., the 'Pang', and so on and so forth.

    Also I've felt quite identify with this girl because she is as vindictive as am I, well, as I used to being...Although, I haven't got killer instinct....hahaha -well, a little bit... hahaha-
    I am a very peacefull woman, but if you touch my eggs, you must hidden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Tatyana!
      I guess you're watching these movies with subtitles, right? Doing otherwise would be downright crazy! Yeah, you can get some of the jokes, dialogues, but you'd definitely miss like a considerable part of the message.
      I really agree with your judgement of the two first movies; one pretty naive, like the typical product of the 80's, but a really nice movie nonetheless, and the second, quite Indie-ish (you know, like Juno, Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy and other films which, unlike many, I do not really love), but I think it is really well done and tender. Typical story about coming-of-age and how frustrating sometimes it is.

      I'm quite surprised that in your description of "Welcome to the Dollhouse" you do not mention how disturbing and shocking it is at the end of the day. I know it is treated in a funny manner, but when my girl saw that movie, she said "How can one sit through 90 minutes about a poor girl being constantly humiliated?" So yes, it is funny, but quite cruel at the same time!
      I love it, though!

      Thanks!

      Delete