Sunday, March 6, 2016

Put your Money where your Mouth is!





You know? The other day I was thinking about Pink Floyd's super famous song "Money" and, more specifically about its lyrics, its words, its message. It is undeniably a really good tune (but by no means my favorite of theirs) and it is one of the first songs most people get to listen from the British combo (along with "Another Brick in the Wall", of course). 
Anyway, it is the message we're discussing here:

"Money, get away"... "Money, get back"... "Money, it's a crime..." and so on, and so forth...

Basically a condemnation of money for being the root of all the evils of our ugly world. Hmmm... quite funny coming from a bunch of millionaires who probably live in some mansion in the French Riviera  and who would easily charge their fans between 50 to 100€ for a concert ticket and who would not hesitate to report them if they found out said fans were downloading their songs for free. Don't get me wrong, I love the Floyd, but a group  of philanthropic hippies these guys were not (Roger Waters even admitted in an interview that he was inspired to write The Wall after he spat at an enthusiastic fan in a gig and was disgusted by his repulsive behavior, but that is a completely different story!)

The thing is that I've always found the Rock Stars' hypocrysy about good deeds and especially about trying to pretend how little they care about money quite annoying; especially if they don't practice what they preach, they talk the talk but not walk the walk, etc. I mean, I'd rather have an artist (but also other types of professionals such as cooks, painters, etc.) who unabashedly admits he's only in it for the money than someone trying to convince me about artistic integrity and whatnot when his/her actions show otherwise. I just don't buy that BS, sorry.

That is not to say that true artistic integrity does not exist and that there are not people who have other much more important motivations than CASH in their careers and lives. Quite a few bands/individuals have risked much of their time, energy and investments in setting up record labels so as to help new, up-and-coming artists make their music (or whatever creation) available, and many have agreed to lower their fees so as to keep down the price tickets; all of it, out of pure altruism. So, of course, kudos to them!

Whatever, the issue I wanted to be discussed in this very post is MONEY; that is, how important money is in our lives.
I'll talk about myself, and expect you to do the same (as usual, in the comments box): I LOVE my job, but I really doubt I would do it for free. I've always thought that if you can make a living out of something you genuinely enjoy doing, then you're a lucky person. But of course, getting some money in exchange for that job which you love is an ESSENTIAL part of the equation; I mean, how could one live, otherwise?

The thing is that I reckon the money that I get for my job is pretty reasonable; sure, my job is a decently-paid one (especially when compared to most jobs in our country), and such pay would allow one to live comfortably (it pays the bills, for sure!), provided that person has some minimal money-management skills. In relation to this, I have to say that I wouldn't call myself a materialist; I'm not obsessed with money or whatever: I only see money as the vehicle for obtaining some goods, services or (more importantly, in my case) experiences/memories. Duh! you will say; EVERYONE uses money to buy things or experiences! Right, but what I mean is that I'm not that concerned about how much money I have in my bank account or about NOT SPENDING money (and consequently, saving it!) or about setting some private pension plan or saving it for a rainy day and stuff. 

The truth is that I'm a lousy saver: probably, having a job for a life has made me relax about having to amass some savings to fall back on if needed; it is quite complicated for me to set a budget and stick to it. Furthermore, I don't have kids, and things would be different if I had. On the other hand, I live on my own and all the expenses to meet (rent, utility bills, groceries, petrol, phone, internet), I have to do so myself. Periodically, some unexpected expense (municipal taxes, car repairs, car/house insurance, goddamned fines...) will come up, rendering the chance of saving some money a quite improbable one.
After paying bills and meeting my de rigueur expenses, there comes enjoyment; what a miserable life would it be if one could not treat him/herself after a long, hard work week, right? I'm not a capricious man and have little concern for cars or designer brands or expensive clothes but, I do have some interests and most of them are not free: I love music, and not just listening to it, but POSSESSING it, that is, buying vinyl records. I feel bad if I spend too much money on records (I try not to spend more than 5% of my monthly income on that), but sometimes I just give in to my record buying impulses
Eating out (and washing down a nice meal with an equally nice wine) is another of my personal pleasures, and I love doing it once a week at least (I hate being ripped off, though). So is craft beer (which is not exactly cheap). I also enjoy travelling a lot, and travelling can be a costly activity (I usually rely on others who are much better at finding travel bargains than me!).
I guess that, based on the previously stated, I'm more of a spender than a saver. I don't know, I don't really throw money away or spend money like water, but if with a decent pay, I  can barely make ends meet, then a saver I'm definitely not.

What about you guys/girls. What is your attitude towards money? How much money is enough money? (not a specific amount, but more of a description) Can you live on your income? Do you make do with what you have or would more money make a considerable difference?

Have your say!


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a student most of my life so all those years I lived off my parents who had to meet all the expenses. Moreover, I have 3 siblings (all of them older than me), therefore a good way to save money was inheriting all their clothes (I mean, my sister’s clothes and my brothers’ clothes as well, sic!).

    Besides, I used to have friends whose parents had a lot of money (they made an absolute fortune) but I don’t remember I didn’t feel as happier as they were. I guess that is the reason why I can make do with little money and I’m more of a saver trying to save for a rainy day, specially, since my baby boy appeared in my life.
    On the other hand I have a quite well-job that allows me to live comfortably too and make ends meet, so I treat myself once a week at least, although I’m more fanciful with all baby stuffs.
    In my opinion, as long as you have a monthly income which allows you to cover basic needs and treat you a bit, that’s enough. I think the point is, mainly, not being too spender or capricious and trying to make ends meet.
    Sometimes, the more money you earn, the more you spend; and people could pretend get on well with you more than necessary in order to obtain some benefits (so you should aware of being rip off!). Along this line there is a really funny Argentinian film: “El concursante” (The contestant),I strongly recommend watching it. It’s well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great words, as usual, Carmen. Again, practically flawless write-up.
      Just some observations:
      In the second paragraph: "I don't remember not feeling/ I didn't feel as HAPPY as they were"
      In that very paragraph "ESPECIALLY"
      "I have a quite well-PAID job"
      "Spender" is a noun, therefore, "not being too WASTEFUL/EXTRAVAGANT"
      "People could pretend TO get on well with you..."

      That's all!
      I'll definitely take your recommendation into consideration! Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Firstly I have to admit that I am quite critical about this issue.In my opinion money was made in order to be in continuous movement,that is,to be passed from people with money to people without it.It is so simple,but so far from the reality in which the distance between the rich and the poor is getting longer,not just among nations but also within small areas.I am also fed up with listening to my close people complaining about being poor when there are really needy people around the world who have absolutely no money.
    Anyway,definitely money matters are boring responsibilities for me.I have never been interested in money(maybe cuz my basic needs have always been satisfied)and I guess the only thing I share with the rich is my absolute carelessness about money.I hardly look ahead,so the idea of saving does not appeals to me whatsoever;I tend to blow every little amount of money I get.
    On the other hand I am not a spender either;I just buy what I really need to and only when I need to.For instance,I am used to buying food in street markets once a week cuz I guess there is a good value for the money.
    I get paid a minimum wage which is enough to pay electricity and water bills,food expenses,petrol(the majority of my expenses)and I guess I do not have expensive hobbies.
    What I really care is what I do for a living,as in my view,there is no point in earning lots of money if one does not feel fulfilled with his job.All in all,I confess that it is so easy to talk as an idealistic person when nobody depends economically on me.I am sure that if I had to look after my own kids I would change my mind,I would shift towards a more conservative viewpoint.However,in any case money would never be my aim but the way so as to support my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb thoughts and writings, Diego.
      Nothing really worth finding fault with in your write-up, anyway some inaccuracies can be seen:
      "the GAP between the rich and the poor is/keeps getting bigger"
      "people who have no money at all/ whatsoever"

      Otherwise, excellent words to support your point, as usual.
      Great!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful words, Paula.
      Anyway, just try to take notice of my observations:
      "The most important thing in my life is my family's HEALTH"
      "it ALLOWS me not only..."
      "I CONSIDER I'm not..."
      "sometimes IT is a difficult to..."
      "But I'm down to earth/ I am realistic enough/ I have my feet on the ground..."
      "but this is ANOTHER question"

      Great, otherwise!

      Delete